On February 11, 2019, Executive Order 13859 was signed, which aims to ensure that the United States remains at the forefront of artificial intelligence (AI) development. This order recognizes the potential of AI to revolutionize many aspects of society, including healthcare, transportation, and manufacturing, and seeks to establish a framework for continued American leadership in the field.
The executive order establishes the American AI Initiative, a national strategy for AI research and development. This initiative calls for increased investment in AI research and development, as well as greater coordination among federal agencies to ensure that the United States remains a global leader in AI technology.
One of the key goals of the American AI Initiative is to prioritize the development of AI technologies that will benefit American workers and the economy. This includes investments in AI research that will lead to the creation of high-paying jobs and the development of AI technologies that will help American businesses compete in the global market.
The executive order also calls for the promotion of AI research and development in academia and the private sector. This includes increased funding for AI research at universities and other research institutions, as well as the creation of partnerships between the government and private companies to advance AI technology.
In addition, the executive order calls for the creation of an interagency committee on AI to coordinate the efforts of federal agencies and ensure that the United States remains at the forefront of AI development. This committee will be tasked with identifying challenges and opportunities in AI research and development, as well as developing recommendations for the federal government to support the continued growth of the AI industry.
Below are twenty ways the federal government could implement AI for digital transformation and citizen services.
- Personalized health and wellness services using AI-powered tools for early disease detection and prevention
- Enhanced public safety and security through the use of AI for predictive policing and threat analysis
- Improved transportation services through the implementation of AI for traffic management and autonomous vehicles
- Increased efficiency and accuracy in government operations through the use of AI for data analysis and decision-making
- Enhanced customer service through the use of AI-powered chatbots and virtual assistants
- Improved disaster response and recovery efforts through the use of AI for predicting and mitigating potential risks
- Streamlined tax collection and fraud detection through the use of AI for data analysis and predictive modeling
- Enhanced national defense through the use of AI for surveillance, threat detection, and military strategy
- Improved border security through the use of AI for facial recognition and threat detection
- Enhanced education and training opportunities through the use of AI for personalized learning and skill development
- Improved public services through the use of AI for predictive maintenance and infrastructure management
- Enhanced environmental protection through the use of AI for monitoring and analyzing environmental data
- Improved food safety and quality through the use of AI for detecting and preventing foodborne illnesses
- Enhanced financial services through the use of AI for fraud detection and risk assessment
- Improved energy conservation and management through the use of AI for optimizing energy use and predicting demand
- Enhanced national security through the use of AI for intelligence gathering and analysis
- Improved public health through the use of AI for disease surveillance and epidemic forecasting
- Enhanced public transportation through the use of AI for route optimization and demand prediction
- Improved air quality through the use of AI for monitoring and analyzing air quality data
- Enhanced social services through the use of AI for predicting and preventing potential cases of abuse and neglect.
Overall, Executive Order 13859 seeks to ensure that the United States remains a leader in AI technology by promoting research and development, supporting American workers and businesses, and coordinating efforts among federal agencies. By taking these steps, the United States can continue to be a global leader in AI and reap the many benefits that this technology has to offer.
Link to EO 13859 here